CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 7, 2010

One year ago!























































I can hardly believe it is already time for me to make this post. My how the time has flown and I wouldn't change a thing, well maybe one thing....I would try to slow down time, as the last year has gone by way to fast.

One year ago today, I woke up in a hotel room in China knowing that this was the day my life would change forever. I just had no idea how much it would change and how it would change for the better. This was the day that we were going to pick Jetta up and to start our life with her. The day was so much more than I could have ever expected.

As we arrived at the building to pick the girls up, my stomach was in knots, not knowing what to expect (thinking to myself - before long I'm gonna be a mom). As we got out of the bus that took us and made our way to the elevator, we all were looking at each other, smiling, knowing that we were just moments away from meeting our girls.

As we got off the elevator, there was a sea of other adoptive parents, either having just received their babies, or others who were waiting. As I surveyed the room, I saw alot of parents holding their children and remember thinking to myself, that will be me soon. I also thought, I wonder how it feels for the child, scary, unsure, probably not even realizing what was about to take place. Most of the parents had big smiles on their faces and/or tears running down their cheeks, all finally happy that they had their child.

As we made our way into the waiting area, there was a door that had curtains hanging from it, with just a small crack allowing us to sneak a peek and hoping to catch a glimpse of our babies. As several of us were peeking in, a man came over to the curtains and pulled them closed. We kind of looked at each other and was wondering if any of them were our babies.

As we stood their patiently waiting (again by this time I think I was just numb from the fact that this was soon going to be the moment I had been waiting so long for), I remember our guides coming out to tell us that it wouldn't be much longer, but that the girls hadn't arrived yet, as they were stuck in traffic. We all just kind of laughed and thought, what is a few more minutes.

As we stood there, we talked amongst ourselves, trying to take our minds off of the fact that our babies weren't there and that they would soon be arriving. Before long, we noticed a group of people getting off the elevator and in they came, walking past all of us, holding 8 beautiful little girls. We all just looked at each other and immediately looked to find our guides hoping they would give us the look that let us know that those were our babies. However, I don't think any of us really needed that, cuz as they went by, we all surveyed the babies and each saw our daughters. While we only had two small pictures, that were months old, but we just knew.

I remember Shannon coming over to me and saying, did you see her and I said I'm not sure, but I think I did. He said, "she was the one sleeping in that man's arms". First of all, we were very surprised to see men carrying the babies in, but come to find out there are several men at the orphanage and all are involved with the girls care in some way or another. The man who carried Jetta in, ironically, is the orphanages accountant. Strange that the orphanages accountant would travel with the group, but since they were bringing such a large group of babies, they needed all the help they could get. At the time this was all taking place I didn't know this, but recently I found out, and found it so strange that the man who carried my daughter in was the accountant...call it whatever, but they say that red thread exists and me being an accountant, figured this was just one more red thread moment and knew that Jetta was meant for me.

As we saw them be whisked by and taken behind that daunting curtain, all we could do was try to compose ourselves. We didn't even have them and we were crying. Just knowing that in a matter of moments they would be placed in our arms. Our guides finally (I say finally, but it was probably a matter of minutes, but seemed like hours) came out and told us what the order would be for them bringing out the babies and I was going to be number 2. I couldn't believe it, I just had to wait for one other baby to make her way through the curtain and then Jetta would be on her way out.

The first baby came out, Desneiges, and then it was my turn, before I knew it, out came this beautiful baby girl. She had on a white pair of pajamas that were sizes to big for her (which today still fit her), then I saw those big brown eyes and I knew for sure it was her. As they placed her in my arms, all I could do was cry and hug her. I held onto her so tight, trying to let her know everything was going to be alright. She was sucking her thumb, but as Shannon made his way over, she managed to take it out of her mouth and gave us her first smile. Then we knew it was going to be alright. She let Shannon hold her right away, which was good, but then I wanted her back. I could hardly believe that all of the waiting was now over and now I could start living my life with her as a part of it.

As all of the familes got their babies, we all just enjoyed that moment, talking with each other, looking at each others babies, knowing that now our families were complete. Shortly after we got all the babies, it was time to head back to the hotel. We all agreed that after we got back, later that afternoon we would all meet up in the lounge and see how things were going. Jetta was amazing, she adjusted so well and was such a happy baby. Everyone made fun of us, cuz she seemed to be farther ahead than most of the babies. I remember Abby joking, "where is Jetta, did she walk back to your room?"
Well, that was just the beginning of the first year of her being a part of our family. As many of you know, she has adjusted very well, better than I could have ever imagined. There have been so many special memories, all of which I have tried to share throughout the past year. I'm looking forward to the next year and all the years to come. The past year has been amazing, so much more than I could have ever have dreamed of.

Jetta is pure joy (even though she's about to turn two). She is a very smart, inquisitive, outgoing little girl. I of course think she is the most beautiful baby ever, but I guess that's what moms do. I could bore you with many other stories from over the past year, but I won't. I just want to thank all of you for following along and for supporting me throughout this amazing journey.

And to Jetta, honey I love you and am so grateful that I have been given this amazing opportunity to be your mommy. I can't wait to experience your life with you and hope that you will always know how much I love you.

I'm going to post a few pictures from our Gotcha Day as well as some of my favorites from the past year, many of which I've posted before, but it allows you to see just how much she's changed and grown since the day we got her. I did take a picture of her this morning, and will try to post it later tonight, so we have a picture from last year and a picture from today.

Tonight we will go out for Chinese and celebrate this special day. I know she won't understand what it all means, now, but one day she will and I truly hope she always knows that her birth mother gave her this opportunity to have a better life and that I am forever grateful to her for giving her this chance and for China, choosing me to be her mom. I don't know that words can fully express what the last year has meant to me, but as I sit here and finish typing this, I have tears in my eyes just remembering that special day, one year ago and how wonderful my life has become since that day.

5 comments:

Grandma said...

As I read this it is such a special day all the way around because I too remember getting to hear that you had our precious granddaughter in your arms. How exciting it was and for the first time we could say we have our granddaughter and we couldn't wait for the day when we could get to meet her. So the year has been such a full filling one and we are so blessed to have Jetta in our lives. We love you little one.

Grandma Alexander said...

I am so thankful for the joy Jetta has brought to our lives. I can not believe it has been a year already, but i still cant wait for the years to follow. I know it will be filled with love,laughter and mountains of everlasting memories. I will treasures these moments forever. With all my love, Grandma Alexander

The Humbles said...

Ok, I cried again reading it and every post our sister families have made today. I don't remember asking if Jetta walked to the room, but it sounds like something I would have said! Ha! I see us in the background of the pic with Jetta in white pjs. What a day. it just takes my breath away reliving it! What a overwhelming day it was!

ShysMom said...

I am so Happy that all is going well..That sure was a fast year...Jetta is just adorable and I am happy that she adjusted so well to her new life...
Love, Hugs and Prayers for you all!!!

The Humbles said...

Happy Birthday Jetta! It is tomorrow!!! We love you!